Summers in New Ipswich Past
In 1914, Dr. Charles Henry Chandler wrote glowingly about the changes in the town, especially with regard to summer and summer entertainments:
Our fathers, unwittingly it may be, chose a beautiful situation for the town of their care and hope. Standing nearly at the base of the foothills, it combines the power and majesty of the hills with the charm and beauty of the river and the plain. When during the latter part of the last century dwellers in city homes learned the value of country life in the summer, New Ipswich thus received her full share of guests. It is said that one year there were six hundred summer so journers in town. Families who came here repeatedly became so attached to the region that they purchased houses or farms to be occupied in summer as homes. Thus a new element came into our social life, and the young people must be amused. A croquet ground was laid out in the Barrett meadow, of such excellence that it received complimentary notice in the New York Independent ; tennis courts were laid out in the same field; bath-houses built at the river. Most important of all was the organization of the Souhegan Country Club. In 1899 eight men bought the Jonas Woolson huge chimney, and the steep and narrow stairs; otherwise it has been modernized most tastefully. The men's room is fitted up in the fashion of an English grill-room. The view from the lookout is one of the finest in this town of glorious views. There are golf links and a tennis court. The clubhouse is open for the entertainment of members and their friends every Saturday during the summer, and daily through the month of August, and is a delightful social center. There are more than one hundred members, including people of neighboring towns, and others who are interested in the life of New Ipswich. The owners are Edward O. Marshall, Ralph E. Parker, Frank W. Preston, and John Preston, of New Ipswich ; Frederic W. Ely and Herbert J. Taft of Greenville; Simpson C. Heald of Wilton ; and John W. Bemis of Temple. (Chandler, History of New Ipswich, 1914: 148-49).